Bike Cleveland is Hiring an Events and Communications Manager
Be our Events and Communications Manager!
The Events and Communication Manager position is best for someone who is highly organized, likes to be in charge of their own projects, can manage many logistics at once, enjoys working with people and creating memorable experiences for others, connects the importance of events and community-building to carrying out our mission, is an excellent orator, has an outgoing personality, can creatively solve problems, and knows how to breathe deeply when managing stressful situations. This position will require working nights and weekends.
- Plan and implement Bike Cleveland’s existing events including Bike to Work Day, Fundo, Bikes n’ Brew, Annual Meeting, NEOCycle, and other organized rides.
- Expand Bike Cleveland’s definition of events through meaningful partnerships, corporate sponsorships, and new large-scale fundraising events and rides.
- Creates and implements innovative marketing plans to promote Bike Cleveland’s events and programs.
- Develop, evaluate and improve Bike Cleveland’s communications plan to reach various audiences across Greater Cleveland (members, potential members, and people who have yet to hear about our work).
- Write fundraising appeals.
- Craft messaging around strategic goals.
- Write and curate blog posts on the topics of biking, placemaking, and advocacy.
- Act as the organizational spokesperson to media and the public.
- Work with the Membership Manager to convert our large following into actively engaged, due paying members.
- Manage Bike Cleveland’s social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram.
- Manage projects with contractors including video and graphic design.
Administrative/Other Duties (15%)
- Inspires people to participate in and advocate for making Cleveland a safer place to ride a bike.
- Answer the phone, emails, attend meetings.
- Works on special projects as needed.
- Ability to work a varied, flexible schedule including several evenings and weekends.
- Staffing volunteer/board committees
Experience and Qualifications
We think you probably need:
- At least one year of experience organizing, event planning, or related field;
- Comfort managing volunteers aged 12-65;
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities;
- Ability to think strategically and be able to manage several projects at one time.
- Good public speaking skills and media relations experience
- High energy, great people skills, and an ability to have fun with work;
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through with tasks;
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to network, build trust, and build working relationships with diverse groups;
- Proficient computer skills including social networking sites, word processing, website management and database software; and
- A strong desire to make Greater Cleveland more bike-friendly.
We’d really like you to have these extra qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Knowledge of WordPress and MailChimp;
- Proficiency with graphic design software;
- Experience working on advocacy campaigns and an understanding of basics of the political process;
- Knowledge of Greater Cleveland;
- Knowledge of the economic, health, safety, social, and environmental benefits of bicycling and basic knowledge of how to improve bicycling;
- A background with bicycles; either professionally or recreationally.
Salary and benefits
The salary range is $30,000-$37,000, depending on experience and skills plus benefits including health care and two weeks vacation/two weeks sick pay.
How to Apply
Submit the following to email@example.com in one single PDF:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the job as well as your qualifications
- Writing sample that conveys your writing skills and communication style
No hard copies or phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Bike Cleveland is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
About Bike Cleveland
The mission of Bike Cleveland, founded in 2011, is to build livable communities by promoting all forms of cycling and advocating for the rights and equality of the cycling community. Bike Cleveland aligns its advocacy with social equity and community improvement and strives to embrace the power of a strong engaged membership to achieve its mission.