Midway – Protected Bike Lane Plan – Public Meetings
Date: Dec 07, 2016
Bike Cleveland and others have been working on The Midway for years now, and after a long push, Cleveland is on the verge of accepting protected bike lanes as a viable and desirable way to promote biking and protect people. If you’re not sure what protected bike lanes are, or why they’re good, check this out.
At this point we know –
- Protected bike lanes increase ridership and reduce the number of trips people take by car.
- Crash rates fall when protected bike lanes are installed.
- Businesses benefit from increased foot and bike traffic, and do not miss the “lost” on-street parking.
- Property values increase near protected bike lanes.
- Protected bike lanes help people be healthy by facilitating active transportation options.
- People under 40 heavily consider quality bike infrastructure when deciding where to live. Protected bike lanes help attract and retain people.
- Protected bike lanes are up to ten times less expensive to construct than a traditional roadway.
When we say The Midway, we are discussing our vision for a network of fully protected bike lanes throughout Cleveland; a project we have been working on for several years now. Other cities around the country are already well ahead of Cleveland in their adoption of this infrastructure, with many cities having had protected bike lanes on their roads for years now. Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis are examples of our peer cities rolling ahead. This isn’t experimental, they work.
The City of Cleveland is hosting the final public meetings to determine where the Midway will be implemented. This meeting is the culmination of a year-long look at Midway style protected bike lanes by the City and others, and the last chance for you to have your say and show support for the project! There will be two sessions on the same day, and the presentation and open-house format will be the same for both.
What: Public Meeting for Cleveland’s Midway Cycle Track & Protected Bicycle Facilities TLCI Feasibility Study
Where: Cleveland Public Library Main Branch, 325 Superior Ave, Auditorium (LL)
When: Wednesday, December 7th @ 11:30am – 1:30pm & 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Come and voice your support for modern, progressive transportation options in Cleveland. This is a pivotal moment in the future of the Midway, and protected bike lanes in Cleveland, and a chance to share your opinion while the City is listening. We hope to see you there! Oh and be sure to invite your friends on Facebook either for the 11:30am-1:30pm meeting or the 4-6pm meeting.