Bike Cleveland is Hiring an Outreach and Membership Manager
Be our Outreach and Membership Manager!
The Outreach and Membership Manager position is best for someone who is highly organized, likes to be in charge of their own projects, can manage many logistics at once, enjoys educating and working with others, connects the importance of engaging all people in our programs to carrying out our mission, can creatively solve problems, has a strong sense of social equity, is passionate about promoting social mobility through transportation choices, and knows how to breathe deeply when managing stressful situations. This position will require working nights and weekends.
- Plan and Implement education programs, sometimes with partner organizations, that will get more people riding bikes. Can include riding classes, maintenance workshops or other programs as identified.
- Partner with Safe Routes to School to implement regular school based programming around getting more kids to bike to school.
- Work with local businesses to host biking clinics and workshops to grow a network of bicycle friendly businesses.
- Work with communications staff to craft messaging around motorist and bicyclist education awareness campaigns.
- Plan and implement events and programs that engage Bike Cleveland in the community, including communities that are traditionally underserved.
- Develop a volunteer program that emphasizes recruiting, training, and retaining organization wide volunteers, as well as assessing new opportunities to develop volunteers and members through new programs or partnerships.
- Expand Bike Cleveland programs, ensuring that programs promote membership, grow volunteers, and advance our advocacy, education, and outreach initiatives.
- Develop volunteer incentive and appreciation programs.
- Work with local businesses, organizations, and communities to improve bike parking options.
- Staff tables at events to grow awareness of Bike Cleveland.
- Manage member communications to ensure members are engaged with our work.
- Database management and maintenance of membership records utilizing Salesforce.
- Evaluate and manage all membership processes and materials, from renewal notices, to troubleshooting issues and conducting member surveys.
- Connect and leverage membership opportunities through Bike Cleveland events and programs.
- Develop strategies convert our large following into due paying members.
Administrative/Other Duties (10%)
- Inspires people to participate in and advocate for making Cleveland a safer place to ride a bike.
- Answer the phone, emails, attend meetings.
- Works on special projects as needed.
- Ability to work a varied, flexible schedule including several evenings and weekends.
- Staff volunteer/board committees
Experience and Qualifications
We think you probably need:
- At least one year experience in organizing, educating, volunteer coordination, or related field;
- Comfort managing volunteers aged 12-65;
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities;
- Ability to think strategically and be able to manage several projects at one time.
- High energy, great people skills, and an ability to have fun with work;
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through with tasks;
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to network, build trust, and build working relationships with diverse groups;
- Proficient computer skills including social networking sites, word processing, website management and database software; and
- A strong desire to make Greater Cleveland more bike-friendly.
We would really like you to have these extra qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Experience working with Salesforce database software;
- Experience working on advocacy campaigns and an understanding of basics of the political process;
- Knowledge of Greater Cleveland and a comfort working in neighborhoods with low socio-economic conditions.
- Connections to organizations, businesses and communities in Cleveland, especially those who are not yet as engaged in bicycling activities;
- Knowledge of the economic, health, safety, social, and environmental benefits of bicycling and basic knowledge of how to improve bicycling.
- Proficient bike rider and a background that includes bikes either formally or informally.
Salary and benefits
The salary range is $30,000-$37,000, depending on experience and skills plus benefits including health care and paid vacation.
How to Apply
Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the job as well as your qualifications
No hard copies or phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Bike Cleveland is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
About Bike Cleveland
The mission of Bike Cleveland, founded in 2011, is to build livable communities by promoting all forms of cycling and advocating for the rights and equality of the cycling community. Bike Cleveland aligns its advocacy with social equity and community improvement and strives to embrace the power of a strong engaged membership to achieve its mission.